Homelessness in Chester County is very real, and the facts are staggering. Last year, more than 600 people were identified as homeless; one in three were women. In January 2015, our dream to open a home for these women to support them on their road to independence became a reality. Phoenixville Women’s Outreach opened “The House,” a transitional housing program for homeless and low-income single women in the greater Phoenixville area. In addition to safe housing, we provide our residents with support services and counseling to enhance skills, achieve self-sufficiency and move from crisis to independence and beyond.
How Can Our Branch Help:
The House appreciates donations as listed below:
- Gift cards to Giant Food, Redner’s, Staples, Target or K-Mart
- Laundry detergent, Dawn dish detergent, dryer sheets
- Tissues, toilet paper, paper towels
- Hair products (including those designed for black hair), hairspray, lotions
- Hair brushes and combs
- Folger’s coffee, flash drives for computers, printer ink (Brother LC101 black, LC103 color)
- Tall kitchen plastic bags, one-gallon Ziploc bags, Clorox or Lysol wipes
- Stamps, flashlights, light bulbs (40, 60, 3-way)
When you see a 2-for-1 sale on any of these items, think of The House and bring the items to the next meeting. The House is also selling $5 Boscov’s shopping passes for October 21. Mary Smith is our contact member.